Thursday, October 20, 2011

La Perla Tapatia

La Perla Tapatia


This is the second grocery store on my list.  I have a nose for these kind of things.  They usually get very fresh ingredients, and I was not disappointed.  I think I found my favorite burrito in Oceanside.


Ingredients:  I ordered a carnitas burrito because I just made a tomatillo avacado salsa that tastes great with carnitas and I wanted to test it out..  I also bought a pound of milanesa so I can make some homemade jerky.    


The burrito included: Carnitas, rice, pinto beans, quacamole, a number of different salsas to choose from, pico de gallo.

Size:  I wasn't blown away by the size of the burrito, but it was the right size for me.  Definitely a one serving size.

Freshness:  The ingredients were very fresh.  Actually, some of the freshest ingredients I have had since I was back in the bay area.  The rice tasted like it was just cooked.  The beans were very moist, and the tortilla must have been made within 24 hours.  The only part I was not in love with was the greasiness.  It was a pretty sloppy burrito, but very tasty.




Salsa bar:  No chips.  It is located in a decent size grocery store, so you could buy chips.  There wasn't a salsa bar, but I think if requested, you could ask for a couple cups.  The one I chose in my burrito was a chile de arbol.  But, there were 5 others to choose from.  


Overall Taste:  As I said earlier, La Perla Tapatia is probably the best burrito in Oceanside.  Outside of the greasiness, which was partly due to me ordering carnitas instead of carne asada, it was a great burrito.  There are only a couple of other times where I have had a tortilla as fresh.


Price:  The burrito is ~$5.00.   With no salsa, no chips, no carrots, it was a bit on the high side for Oceanside, but I will be coming back because it's hard to find a tortilla this fresh in  San Diego.


Other good menu items:  There was apretty diverse menu.  I had my mind made up because of  the tomatillo avacado salsa.  I will have to update this the next time I stop by.