Tuesday, August 23, 2011

El Cilantro

I have now ventured into Los Angeles County.  El cilantro sparked my interest through Yelp.  The Monster Burrito is probably the largest burrito I have found in Southern California.  The aren't the freindliest bunch but the portions are huge and the salsa bar is excellent.  And They offer free chips!


Ingredients:  Choice of meat, choice of black or pinto beans, rice, cheese,lettuce.  The unique thing about el Cilantro is that they have 4 different tortillas to choose from.
Size: I have eaten here 3 times and the size is consistently massive.  I did manage to get through about 80% before my stomach quit on me.  The other two times I split it with my date.


Freshness:  The beans are very fresh. The meat is mediocre. I have had both chicken and carne asada.  The real freshness is in the tortillas and the greens.

Salsa bar:  I love their salsa bar so much that I took a a picture.  They have a wonderful pineapple chunky salsa, 3 red salsas, and a pretty good tomatillo salsa.  But really? how can you ignore the lack of stinginess with the chips.  There are so many SoCal taquerias that don't even offer chips.

Overall Taste:  I found this about a couple months ago, and I've already been 3 times. I only go up to Long Beach once a week, and Usually don't eat when I'm up there.  It's a    go-to spot especially if you love good salsa.  I'm not a huge fan of guacamole (I would much rather have avacado), but the salsa bar keeps me coming back.

Other good menu items:  The sell all kinds of stuff. I just only eat burritos, so I haven't enjoyed their hamburgers, tacos or tortas.



Price:  ~$8.00.  It seems a bit pricey. but if you were to divide the price by the calories this monster has in it, I'm sure it would be a steal.  If Mogadishu, had a potluck, you would only need one of these.