Monday, August 15, 2011

Señor Grubbys


Ingredients:  Standard burritos come with meat of your choice, cheese, salsa, avocado.  They have a lot of "Gringo" style burritos.  They also have street tacos and other mexican food.  My favorite item is the Carlsbad burrito; a California burrito with carnitas and pineapple. 

Size: They are a little small for my taste.  Great size if you are being healthy.  No stomach pains.  



Freshness:  The tortillas are on the dry side for my liking.  But they are fresh, just pan fried before the ingredients are put in.  The meat is very good, the chicken very healthy and fresh.  Señor Grubbys is probably one of the healthiest burritos joints in my neighborhood.

Salsa bar:  they aren't very generous with the chips. I think you have to pay to have them with your meal. So, the enjoyment of the salsa bar is limited, but they have a great selection. They have a true tomatillo salsa, avacado/tomatillo salsa that is on the thinner side compared to some northern califrnian burrito joints, Their best salsa is probably the chipotle, and they also have couple tomato salsas.  Hot Carrots aren't very hot, but they are clean and fresh.

Overall Taste: When I'm feeling like eating healthy, this is on top of my list.  I also only like to go when I want a meal that is light.  Grubby's is great after the  bars, but so is every other crappy taqueria. It's a gringo joint, and I think this warrants me having an explanation of how I feel about gringo joints.  A lot of taquerias in the area don't have salsa bars, and I give this place 5 stars for freshness.

Other good menu items: street tacos, american beers carne asada fries