Monday, August 15, 2011

El Torito Market

This place is unique in that it is just a small grocery store on the coast highway.  It does come with a secret; the best burrito in north county san diego.  The people who work there are friendly, and the portions are generous.  I might love this place because they only offer burritos and tacos.  Or that it's a diamond in the rough


Ingredients:  Steak or Chicken, beans, rice, cheese, salsa.  Many burrito joints in san diego are only meat, salsa, and don't have the beans and rice that I like to see in my burrito.

Size: I can finish it before my stomach hurts. It definitely carries some weight to it.   [image of burrito eaten coming soon]

Freshness:  The tortillas aren't fried very much and it's a bit softer then many other taquerias.  The beans and rice are always pretty fresh, and the meat comes right from the meat counter from which you order your burrito.

Salsa bar:  They don't even offer chips, but you can buy a bag considering it is inside a grocery store.  But, you do have to buy a big bag.  They usually offer 3 types of salsa.  A red, green, and a pico de gallo.  They are pretty generous with the salsa, but when you got no chips, it's hard to enjoy the fresh salsa they have.

Overall Taste: I'm a big fan of the simplicity of this place.  I think the meat is excellent and you can taste the intimacy. It's not a popular place, but it's hard for me to drive by and not stop in for a burrito.

Other good menu items:  They do sell tacos, but I haven't ordered anything else from this place.



Price:  ~$3.75. It's so cheap and big that I usually buy a soda and the two come out to about $5